Friday, April 29, 2011

The Finale

Here they are! My final projects! I hope you all enjoy :o)

Professional Video



Different People, Different Tongues
“Different People, Different Tongues” was inspired by the various perspectives I gained here in Barcelona, about being bilingual and even multilingual. As Americans we are never forced to speak a different language other than English, therefore learning another language has never been a priority. However, after talking to my new friends who come from all over Europe, I learned that it seems almost necessary to speak other languages. Due to their culture backgrounds and educational experiences they have learned that being bilingual offers greater opportunities. What I have also understood from speaking to them about languages is not only will being bilingual greatly benefit them on a professional level but also on a social level --this ability enables them to confidently meet others of different backgrounds. Also, people living all over Europe seem to encounter different cultural backgrounds every day, which is not as common in America. This is why most Europeans perceive Americans as “ignorant” because we show no interest in other cultures other than our own. Personally, being bilingual will help in my field of study (English with an emphasis in writing and public relations) because I hope to work for a company internationally, and Spanish is one of the most spoken languages globally.
This video was my first attempt at completing these projects. I had written down all my ideas, wrote out what I was going to say, and had all my interviews planned out exactly how I wanted them. When it came time to actually piece this thing together, all my plans fell through. I realized this was going to be a bigger challenge then I thought. At first I was going to do several interviews, and have each one of my friends say “hello” in their primary language and then incorporate the rest of the interviews with each other throughout the rest of the video. However, I quickly learned that my skills at cutting/trimming film was not up to par for this idea so I had to completely rethink what to do. I thought back to the Social Revolution video I had posted on my blog earlier in the semester and figured statistics about languages would be interesting! Also, since my multiple interviews did not seem to work for me I stuck with one – the one that had the most influence on my views about this topic. Alex’s perspective about being bilingual is bias but I believe is one that Americans should really consider -- we do have a limited perspective about learning another language and/or culture.
This video was my “trial and error” video with cutting, trimming, doing voiceovers, putting in music, transitions and actually getting the music to go with each particular idea. The point I wanted to make in this video was made, but not nearly as effectively as I had hoped. I wish my video making skills were grade A, but I have done the best I could with what I know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment