Friday, February 4, 2011

My "other" is "southern"

There is something about a southern girl...

Hey yalls! 

Sweet Southern Draws

Cold Ice Tea

Long Hot Summers

Short Mild Winters

Snow? No. 

Take your time

Sweet southern hospitality 

No ma'ams! Yes sirs!

Homestyle cooking 

BBQ and Fried Chicken 

Mashed Potatoes and Mac and Cheese

Biscuits and Gravy

Grits...My Favorite!

Football Season 

Hunting 

Fishing

Long relaxing days on the lake

Mini Skirts

Cut off Jeans

Cow Girl boots with Everything

This south is where I am from and where I will always be no matter how far away from home my life may take me! I am studying abroad through the API program and I proudly stand strong to my southern roots as my fellow group members all come from the north! I like where I am from. My accent is just a mere representation of my upbringing but is one that I take great pride in. My sweet southern twang, although not strong, is very apparent to those who represent big city living and fast pace life styles in cities such as New York and Boston! On this trip the first sign that It was going to be awhile until I was back on my stomping grounds was the flight into Newark, NJ. Flying into the airport there was still inches and inches of snow stuck to the ground. Now, as my fellow followers who know South Carolina and most of the south, snow still on the ground at the end of January must mean the world is probably going to come to an end soon! After leaving Newark the next stop was Barcelona, Spain where I met my group members! Upon first meeting my group members, we of course like any standard greetings go, exchanged names and where are you froms? When It came time for my introduction of course my "hello" was a good "Hi"...with of course the emphasis on the "I".  My name is Sarah. Of course, not how CJ (group member from Boston...with a thick Boston Accent) would have said my name. He would had pronounced it with a hard R. And then comes the Grand finale...I told them I was from Sowwth Care-liiiina! Sound it out! Hey at least I was able to get a good giggle in right? After our greetings we had a night to explore the city. Being in a huge city for one, was completely new and overwhelming to me. I wish you were there to see my amazement. I'm pretty sure it was apparent that I was in AWE by the tall buildings, the fast pace life style, the flashy signs, the many lights illuminating the streets, and just by all the people that I was surrounded by. Little southern girl...Big City! So as we walked down the streets and even took the metro (yeah um what's that?) I noticed the biggest difference about the people than what I am used to -- I don't know if rude is the appropriate word, maybe inconsiderate? No, most likely this is their way of life. But these people will not move out the way for anyone. They have a one track mind set and thats all they are concerned with. However, like I said I don't know if rude is the right way to describe these people but to me we consider it very selfish and inconsiderate for someone to just run into you or not move out the way for some one else. I'm not lying when I say I got bulldozed by a man who was probably 6'2 and 200lbs. It hurt. Where I am from men open doors and we use phrases such as "excuse me" or "thank you"! I mean for them it would be "pardone" y "Gracias"! Its just their nature not to. Different strokes for different folks. And then of course if we want to look at the bigger picture...I'm an American! And boy do I SCREAM AMERICAN! Hey world! Here I am...Blonde hair! Blue eyes! Tan skin! American! Girls here have olive complexions, dark hair, and dark eyes. It is so interesting being immersed in such a rich culture though! Like I said before I am southern and I am so proud to let everyone know! My "other" is "Southern" yall! 

Below is a song written by Buddy Jewell and is one song that I love and that takes me back to my roots! 









1 comment:

  1. I identify! I missed biscuits and gravy, and country music (no country stations in NYC!) when I lived in the NYC area. (Now, I miss bagels and Broadway - go figger.)

    ReplyDelete